Unable to store files together

Therealjmc

Question

Hi,

After migrating from Truecrypt to DiskCryptor I'm able to use DrivePool. But I noticed something after merging some files today:

4 Disks, 2(No 1+2) filled to ~350GB free, 2(No 3+4) Disks filled to ~1,2TB free. I'm using snapraid so balancing is no option for me.

I downloaded a bunch of renderings overnight to disk 3. I want to move them to an existing folder on drive 1 - but moving the files inside the pool moves them on disk 3 (so creating the folder-structure on disk 3). I tried the ordered file placement plugin, but it still won't fill the disk where the other renderings are. Adding it from the pool-outside places them on disk 4. But Disk 1 and 2 are used to store the files (that's why they are so full) - so the only way I see would be file placement rules and enable just disk 1 and 2. Is there any other way?

Is there any chance to get DrivePool to stick to "folder boundaries"?

Thanks!

Peter

4 answers to this question

If you're placing the files into the PoolPart folder directly, then that's the problem here. By doing so, DrivePool isn't really "aware" of the files, other than being "other" data. Only duplicated and unduplicated data is moved by the balancing system (which includes the file placement rules). 

Any time you place files into these folders directly, you need to remeasure the pool. 

Hi,

No, that is not the way I'm doing it. Download and placement is done inside the pooled drive. By Disk 3 etc I meant it was placed there because of some file placement rules I enforced by hand. I want Drivepool to move the files to Disk 1 because there are the other files, but instead the files stay on Disk 3 when moving them inside the pool. Placing them from outside (moving to a non-pooled HDD and back in the pool) moved it to the drive with the most free space.

Thanks

Peter

Ah, okay.

Especially if you're using the Ordered File Placement balancer *and* the File Placement rules, make the following changes in the Balancer settings.

• UNCHECK "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins."
  • CHECK "Balancing plug-ins respect file placement rules."
  • UNCHECK "Unless the drive is being emptied."

Hi,

That doesn't help :( I tried it again some minutes ago:

- Disk 1 and 2 filled to about 300 GB free
- Disk 3 and 4 to about 1,0 TB free

The files downloaded are placed on Drive 3 which is fine. Moving the new files inside the pool moves them on Disk 3- Even if the destination folder structre doesn't exist there but exists on drive 1 and 2. If I move files from the outside to the pooled destination directory they are placed on Disk 4 (creating the structure there). Ordered file placement doesn't seem to make any difference here. Any Idea?

Thanks
Peter

Edit:

I disabled ordered file placement, I have 2 main folders but they should fill vice-versa (Folder 1 should fill disk 1 and folder 2 should fill disk 3) but enabling ordered file placement allways fills one disk. So I have to take a look if I try to reorderd files on the drives to have them re-ordered (2 Disks filled completely, 2 half empty and filling them one-after-another regardless of the filetype and/or destinationfolder) . Not exactly the way I would like it, I used liquesce before and thought that DrivePool would be better regarding the file placement. Maybe I'm just still missing the right configuration for my case?