Stable Drivepool not so stable

ATWindsor

Question

I have a problem with my drivepool it consists of 4 750 GB disks, and all info on it is supposed to be duplicated. All 4 have been connected to a raid-controller, but one of the drives sometimes "fell out" from the raid-controller and wwas reconnected, to prevent this, I wanted to move the drive to a regular sataport on the mobo.

- Problem 1, I tried to remove the drive in drive pool. It never worked, it said "removing" for 24 hours without anything happening or any data beeing moved (I had the option duplicate later checked)

I then disconnected the drive, and then removed it from the pool.

- Problem 2, Reconnecting the drive via the motherboard seems to do nothing, the pool is just standing there on "pool organization" and all space is shown on "other" instead of duplicated.

I then remove the drive again from the pool, and format all the data on it. And start to duplicate the data over the 3 drives left, this is almost completed, howeer there is about 50 GB to little space to duplicate everything. I then add the 4th drive again, now newly formatted.

- Problem 3, The drive is reconnected, but the pool does nothing to balance, or duplicate the non-duplicated part, even if i press "duplicate now".  If I go into "file rpotection" to count what is on the pool, it justs counts up to about 1 TB, and then restarts, again and again and again. Furthermore, even when i format the drive, some old drivepool-files seem to linger on disk 4, so I can't really start really from a fresh.

All settings are default settings.

Frankly I find this a bit disturbing, I bought the product for safety, It doesn't inspire confidence with this kind of trouble. (disk 4 seems to work totally fine as a "regular drive") if I map it to for instance F:

3 answers to this question

First, I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems with our product and your pool.

Drive removal can take a long while, especially depending on the hardware in question and the amount of data.

However, it does sound like you may have run into a disk error while removing the drive.

Additionally, if you were just moving the drives location, as long as the controller passes the disk straight through and doesn't do anything weird, you could have just moved the disk over. No need to remove the drive from the pool.

As for the rest of the issues, it sounds like the metadata for the pool may have gotten corrupted, when you reconnected the removed drive. If so, could you reset the settings and see if that helps?

DrivePool v1.X: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585

DrivePool v2.X: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q3017479

Not a problem.  

And the disk falling in and out of the system rapidly can cause issues, for both DrivePool (which monitors this) and the system in general.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad drive, but once that's removed from the system (physically), hopefully you won't have any more issues.