Pool Going to Hell

MuddSkipp3r

Question

Of course all of this started while I was away from the house on vacation....

I noticed it was getting big lags when trying to access my folders.  Rebooted the machine and it told me it couldn't find one of the drive anymore, so I shutdown machine so I could troubleshoot when I got home.  I get home to find out it can't see any hard drives, including the boot drive.  Chalked it up to the power supply and bought a new one.  I can now see all drives, EXCEPT for the one, which making repeated humming noises then stops.  

I've pretty much accepted I lost my data and that drive has failed and removed it from pool.  But S.M.A.R.T. warnings are telling me another disk is starting to go bad.  I attempt to remove the disk from the pool like the user guide says but I am getting an error.  "Error Removing Drive - the system cannot find the file specified".

Not sure what to do now.  I know I need to remove asap, but I want to get the data off of that drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

A little more info...

I have 5 - 3TB drives.  1 has failed and another getting ready to fail.

When I look at the 4 remaining hard drives, the 3 good ones have two markers on their usage bars.  "Un-duplicated target for balancing" and "Duplicated target for balancing", both are past the usage one each disk.  The bad disk shows its usage (not empty), but the two markers on the usage bar say "Un-duplicated target for balancing" and "New file placement limit", both at the beginning of the usage bar and set to 0.0% and -1.29TB.

Sorry for the delay in answering..... but it does sound like I've answered this issue already, as a ticket.

However, so the info is available for others to search, I'll post the reply here as well. Important parts have been highlighted.

First, I'm sorry to hear about your power supply. That's pretty scary, regardless of the circumstances. And it sounds like it took at least one drive with it (maybe even two). And I'm very sorry to hear that as well.

However, it does seem that StableBit Scanner was "doing it's thing" here, and trying to help out.
What I mean by that, is the "target for balancing" arrows? The blue ones? These indicate how full that the Balancing system wants to fill or empty the drive. That's normal. The Red arrow is the "new file placement limiter". Meaning that it indicates how full the drive can get before it blocks files from being placed on it.

Specifically, if a disk is marked as damaged by StableBit Scanner, it causes DrivePool to evacuate the disk. That's why it's changed the targets for balancing and set the new file placement limit to "0 bytes". It's doing so in an effort to protect your data.

As for the removal failing, well, the above indicates why. Normally, unless you change the settings specifically, Scanner will only cause the "evacuation" behavior when it detects damaged sectors. As in sectors that the system is having issues reading from. That would also block the disk from being removed.
When you remove the disk, you can use the "Force damaged drive removal" to skip the damaged sections of the disk.

Otherwise, you should be able to leave the system alone and it will automatically move as much of the files off the drive as it possibly can.

And after StableBit Scanner has finished scanning the drive, it should have the option to perform a "file scan" to identify which (if any) files are actually affected. If there are any files affected, it will then offer to attempt to recover the files.

Regards