Recovering Activation.

Dave

Question

Going back a couple of weeks ago I lost the MB in my WHS 2011. The replacement MB was too different and I was unable to get the restored server backup to boot correctly. Eventually l gave up and reinstalled from scratch.

This resulted with not being able to de-activate my drivepool licence. My reinstall etc. is now complete and just need to get my pool reactivated before the trial period expires.

I sent an email to support@covecube.com about a week ago but at this point have still not heard back. If that was not the correct place to sent the request to reactivate my licence, would you please let me know where I should send it.

Thanks

Dave

5 answers to this question

Dave,

First, I'm sorry to hear about the server. That is never a pleasant experience! :(

As for your license, the preferred method to contact us, especially about licensing issues is https://stablebit.com/Contact as this gets sorted based on the type of issue (customer service and tech support requests go to me, OEM and other licensing issues go to Alex). Since Alex has been incredibly busy lately, that would probably be why you haven't gotten a response.

I apologize for that, as a week is an unacceptable time to wait, regardless of the reason.

I've deactivated both of your licenses, so you should be able to install them on the new hardware now. 

I've also resent your Order Completion Email to you, which contains your Activation ID. Just in case you needed it.

Also, if you're still using Windows Home Server 2011, please download the WSS Troubleshooter utility and run the "Rebuild DrivePool Shares" option. This will reconfigure the shares to use the pool locations.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

If you need anything else or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Thank You.

I received the email and once my licence was released I was able to reactivate drive pool without problems. At this point, I will leave scanner in reserve but thanks for deactivating it so I can reuse it if required. For some reason scanner does not play very nicely with my 5 bay esata box that is a part of the pool. Drivepool is fine but If I run scanner, I find on an intermittent but fairly regular basis the esata bay drops out of the pool.

Alex has put together some very impressive software and support from yourself and others in the forum is first rate. You have shown other software developers what service should be.

Thanks Again

Dave

I had tried the setting you mentioned and still had some issues. It did seem to help a little but the intermittent problems still continued. My esata bay is a Lian Li unit which came with an included esata card. The card uses the Silicon Image SiL3132 chipset. Server 2008 R2 was not a supported OS. The driver I am currently using with the card is one I had to modify to get it to work on the server 2008 R2 base OS of WHS 2011. The driver seems ok under normal conditions but scanner seems to  push it over the edge.

I was reading through some other posts last night and saw someone had mention a similar problem. They had an esata card also based on the Silicon Image SiL3132 chipset. When replying to the other post you mentioned the AsMedia ASM1061 chipset was a lot more reliable.  A quick search of Ebay found a reasonably price ASMedia card so I decided to order one and give it a go. With a bit of luck it will alleviate the issue as server 2008 R2 is mentioned as being supported by the driver. Fingers crossed at any rate :)

Dave

Ah, yeah, I'm very familiar with the Silicon Images chipset. And yeah, it doesn't take ... much to crash it. And using an unsupported OS and hacked drivers... I'm sure that's compounding the issue.

As for the ASM1061 chipset, it's Alex's preferred chipset. And I can verify that it installs and works great even in Server 2012R2. If you have any issues with finding drivers, just let me know.