Unable to enumerate folder error

Hubinator

Question

I just installed the 30 trial of both drive pool and the scanner. I created a couple folders in my drive pool and copied some data to it. When I go into Folder duplication and balancing I get an error that says "Unable to enumerate folder. Access is denied" I guess I'm not sure what to do.

5 answers to this question

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using? And what operating system?

Also, could you enable file system logging, and reproduce the error?

StableBit DrivePool v1.X: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

StableBit DrivePool v2.X: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Also, does Scanner show any issues with any of the drives in the pool?

If one of the SSDs has a large number of damaged sectors, then there may be an issue with the drive. This could be contributing to the problem, as DrivePool does pass through a lot of the disk issues through.

If you remove the SSD from the pool, do you continue to experience any of the issues?

I removed the SSD with damaged sectors and the error went away. I then added it back and the error did not come back. I am going to continue to monitor. Is there any way for the Drive Scanner/Drive Pool to know and mark which sectors are bad and not use them so I could continue to use this SSD drive?

In theory, the drive should be doing that automatically. StableBit Scanner doesn't "clean" or write to these sectors ever. That is because doing so could prevent any sort of data recovery from working, and that's our first priority.

However, to force the disk to reallocate these sectors, run "chkdsk x: /r" (where x: is the drive in question). This will unmount the drive, and do a "deep scan", which will cause the disk to either recover these sectors or reallocate them.

Though, if you're having issues like this with the SSD, I would recommend downloading the manufacturer's diagnostic tools and make sure that there isn't some other issue with the disk.