Scanning schedule questions

PearsonFlyer

I currently have 22 disks in my system, scanning every 30 days. However, because of the way Scanner runs, it does nothing for 28 days, then starts hammering all my disks in sequence for 2 days straight, every month. I can't figure out how to get my disks on a different schedule, so that every day, just 1 drive is hitting the scan schedule.

During the 2-3 days that scanning occurs, I have system stability issues, and I think that by forcing my schedule to be less intense all at once every month, I can reduce/eliminate that stability issue.

Is there a way to force a scan, even if one is not due yet, to reset the timer on that drive? Or, just to reset the timer on a drive without a scan?

This depends on a number of factors, but over time, it should do this, actually.

Specifically, by default, StableBit Scanner should only be scanning one disk per controller.  If you have multiple controllers, then that will increase the number of drives that scan at one time.  

Also, make sure that you have enable the throttling options that you want.  You can see these here: 
https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Throttling

Also, the heat tab in the settings have some additional settings that may help: 
https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Heat

But if you set a work window, that will reduce the amount of time that the drives can be scanned, and will help spread out when the drives get scanned, over the course of the month.   

And this is because, the 30 days isn't from the last time it was scanned, it was from the last time a specific region of each drive was scanned. 

• 4 weeks later...

Adding to this thread as my questions are in the same vein.

This depends on a number of factors, but over time, it should do this, actually.

I've been using StableBit Scanner for over a year now and my disks are all still scanned in pretty close proximity each month.

image.png.d8af98c3c8f6443e2002986b483cf9fc.png

I too would love if they were staggered over the month. Is there anyway I can accomplish this?
Perhaps by disabling scanning of all disks then enabling one every few days?

And this is because, the 30 days isn't from the last time it was scanned, it was from the last time a specific region of each drive was scanned. 

As a consequence, a lot of my disks are always around 20-29 days since last scan since there was a few week period of time at some point where the entire system was constantly busy so StableBit Scanner wasn't able to finish scanning any of the disks during that time. e.g. A disk has some regions that were last scanned on June 12th while other were last scanned on July 3rd. So they are going to continue to rotate being scanned every 30 days, keeping it in a constant state of never being fully scanned for the last 20ish days.  Is there anyway I can force a full scan of a disk to get the regions back in sync?

Thanks.