Duplication inconsistent

modal.dispersion

Question

Hey people,

I am having a few issues with my DrivePool.

a) If I hover over the 'Pool Organisation Bar' I receive the message 'Duplication inconsistent.'

I can see no way of forcing duplication.

B) A specific folder is showing up as a generic file. This may be occurring with numerous directories however I have only noticed this example.

If I check the folder on each individual disk it is fine.

c) Upon attempting to open a directory, I receive the error message 'The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable'.

This appears to be resolved by a reboot however it will often reoccur.

I have attempted to reinstall the application which does not appear to have resolved any of the issues I am experiencing.

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Latest DrivePool build

Full drive duplication

If anyone can offer any advice I would be very appreciative.

Thank you.

8 answers to this question

Well, it sounds like all of these problems may be related, actually.

I would recommend running a disk check (chkdsk) on all of the disks in the pool. It sounds like there may be a problem with on of the file systems.

If that doesn't help, then try doing this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

And note when the issues take place. And open up a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have installed the scanner and run full scans of the disks in the pool.

4 of the 8 disks that the pool is comprised of were showing file system errors.

I ran chkdsk via the scanner GUI and repaired the file systems on the affected disks.

This appears to have resolved the issues with the 'Duplication inconsistent.' error, the directory appearing as a file and the 'The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable' error.

Unfortunately, now the DrivePool GUI is showing 1.42TB of 'Other' data, however there are no files stored on the disks outside of the pool.

Can you offer any suggestions as to how I can proceed in identifying and removing this 'Other' data?

Thanks again.

Hi Drashna,

I have remeasured the pool which does not resolve the issue.

I've formated a few of the drives, waiting for the data in the pool to re-duplicate in between formats, and have reduced the amount of 'other' data down to 165GB.

As you can understand I do not want to have to continue formatting disks to remove the 'other' data.

I am also concerned that this data may in fact be data that is not yet duplicated.

Regards

Hmm, I thought I had replied to this already.

On the disks in questions, do you have Shadow Copies enabled? 

TO check, run "control system", and click on the "System Protection" link. Find the drives in question. If "Protection" is "On" for them, select the drive and hit "configure" and turn it off.

Also, if you "take ownership" of the "System Volume Information" folder, and delete it, that will also purge the shadow copies.

Also, you can use utilities such as WinDirStat to see the layout of all the files on the pool, what folder they're in and how much space they're taking up.

Also, if you right click on the the drive, and select "Properties" and let it sit for ... a while, it should show you the space used and the space used on disk (these are different numbers, and that difference is the "slack space" we talk about, and is attributed to "other").

If that equals what is on the disk, then you may just need to defragment the drive.

Thank you very much.

Using WinDirStat I was able to identify a number of system folders with the format found.000, found.001 etc.

I believe that these were the result of the Chkdisk utility run earlier.

Having deleted these directories the 'Other' data was reduced back down to 28GB.

Removing the System Volume Information directories has further decreased the size of the 'Other' data to 21.8GB.

You are very welcome.

And I'm glad you were able to identify where that "other" data was hidding and fix the issue here.

Also, it's normal to have some "other" space, and ~30GBs is within that "reasonable" limit:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/37-faq-unduplicated-vs-duplicated-vs-other-vs-unusable/