Scanner froze entire kernel while scanning

4Frame

Question

A strange thing happened today when Scanner was attempting to do its scanning of the drives on my desktop system today.

A little bit of backstory:

I have an SSD as a boot drive and a WD10EZRX as 2nd internal drive, along with an external enclosure via eSATA housing 3 other random old hard drives.

I never enabled file or surface scanning of my SSD because I felt this was a general wear for the SSD when it didn't really need it, and I felt SMART queries were good enough.

Edit: This desktop is running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Well, today, I figured "Hey, let me let Scanner do its thing and I'll re-enable File and Surface scanning for the SSD. Shouldn't be too bad." I've never had an issue beforehand on this PC, ever.

So Scanner begins scanning, and I'm just casually browsing the web when I decide to open a program. All of a sudden, no program is launching when I click on them via the start menu. After a few seconds, hovering the mouse over the start menu caused it to show the spinning "loading" circle. 

Right clicking on the taskbar to try and open task manager yielded the same result. Now the taskbar has a spinning "loading" circle anywhere on it. I then tried to do a CTRL+ALT+DEL. Screen turned black, with spinning circle, nothing. I looked at hard disk activity LED on my case and it was in fact, completely active (constant light). 

This definitely never happened until I enabled file and surface scanning on the SSD. I managed to restart into windows fast enough before Scanner did its automatic scan again, and disabled scanning on the SSD. This literally scared the heck out of me.

I'm not sure if the developers would like a log file of anything (if so, please let me know where to find them), but I figured I would bring this up to everyone's attention. Perhaps be careful with SSD's for scanning?

3 answers to this question

I've scanned with a BUNCH of different SSDs with absolutely no issues. In fact, my server runs off of an OCZ Vertex and I scan every 7 days.

So there is something wrong going on here.

Would you see about replicating the issue and forcing a crash dump?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Freeze

I totally forgot that I do have an SSD on another system that's being scanned just fine by Scanner so you were right. After some testing I found out it's my Marvell controller that's hosting the SSD on my main desktop which seems to be problematic. After switching to the Intel controller everything's fine, thank goodness!