Drive not balancing

henry.gray

Question

Hi, I have come to a new problem when trying to copy some files from my Windows 8.1 laptop to my Server 2012 R2 Essentials running Drivepool, I am being told there is not enough space on the HDD to copy files over, I have looked and there is over 700GB left, I have notice that 2 out of the 3 drives are full, so my problem is that the files are not being balanced between the three drives.

4 answers to this question

Well, the "not enough space" error is normal for the situation you describe. If duplication is enabled, and there isn't enough space for the file, it will fail.

As for the disks being filled up.... that's not so normal. How full is each of the disks?

Also, have you installed any additional balancers or changed their settings?

There is no duplication enabled, I am just running it like a JBOD, I have no need for duplication to be on as everything is backed up. One drive has 324k out of 2tb the other has 44k out of 2tb and the last has 705GB out of 2tb, what additional balancers is there?

Well,  by default, it shouldn't let the drives get that full. The "Prevent drive overfill" balancer is specifically supposed to stop that from happening.

The reason for that, is that even if you don't have duplication enabled, it may still give you issues (heck, drives give you trouble if they're nearly completely full. And that may be what is goig on here.

If the pool is balancing, please let it do so and hopefully clear out some of the data from these overfilled drives.