Hard drive Age, and possible new feature?

4Frame

Question

Hey guys, so I was thinking about a possible feature for Scanner which could allow for either a Balloon Popup, or an e-mail alert when SMART values change (even if they're not detrimental). All depending on if the user wants to enable that or not, of course.

Basically, you could right-click on a smart attribute and be notified if that value changes. I thought it would be pretty handy for users (like me) who have a WD Green drive and are always curious about Load Cycles going up, etc. Could be a handy feature. What do you guys think?

And 2nd, the "Age" value for my scanner gives wrong times for my drives. I've had an SSD running on my system for over 3 months and Scanner used to show about 25 days old for the drive. Now today, the drive is only 1 day old. o_O 

I DID notice that my SSD was recently updated with BitFlock's latest identifier for my SSD and I thought maybe that could be it. But isn't disk age more hard-coded onto the firmware than anything?

4 answers to this question

You mean like a history for the SMART data? 

Or more like a "if it changes by X in Y amount of time, send a notification"?

As for the age, that varies from disk to disk. And I believe that a lot of SSDs don't use the standard format for the data. It makes interpreting the data more difficult.

If you could grab the model of the SSD, and get the BitFlock ID (check the "submit to bitflock" box in SMART details, and it should generate an ID after a few minutes).

Yeah, more like "if it changes by X in Y amount of time" exactly.

Sure, the SSD is a PNY XLR8

SSD2SC240G1LC709B121-443 ATA Device

ID: WURSMVDZ

I'm not too worried about the age issue though. I could be wrong, maybe I saw another drive and looked at the info too fast! I know for sure it has been powered on for longer than a day though.  :)

Okay, we'll I'll suggest the feature, as it is a good idea.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/6281

As for the SSD.... it happens. We manually enter the information about the drives ourselves (based on manufacturer specs), so not every drive may be properly identified.

For instance, I had a recently OCZ Vector drive that was reporting around 1000 days...

But if the age is off, then that is an issue. I've flagged the model for alex, and he'll look into it when he gets a chance.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/6282

Yeah, more like "if it changes by X in Y amount of time" exactly.

Sure, the SSD is a PNY XLR8

SSD2SC240G1LC709B121-443 ATA Device

ID: WURSMVDZ

I'm not too worried about the age issue though. I could be wrong, maybe I saw another drive and looked at the info too fast! I know for sure it has been powered on for longer than a day though.  :)

Well, we've recently added a BUNCH of information for SSDs, and have updated StableBit Scanner.

Make sure that you're on StableBit Scanner 2.5.0.3053. If you want to force the update to the SMART data interpretation, open up the SMART Details page, scroll to the button and click on the update link.

As for the historical data, well, we do plan on implementing something along that line in the future.