Question about Balancing

falc410

Question

I'm currently trying to figure out how to configure Drivepool. I mostly have Media files like Movies on my server which streams the movies to the TV. Now each movie got it's own folder and inside is the movie file but also additional files like subtitles and so on. Movies will never be duplicated.

Now when streaming a movie I want to make sure that only the harddrive on which the movie physical resides, is spun up, all other hard drives should be spun down. That means that the subfolder with the movie and all additional files inside, should be on the same HDD.

Is it possible to configure something like this? Or would I need to write my own plugin (which might be a nice challenge)?

unRaid used something called split-level. Essentially it lets you configure that after a certain subfolder in the directory structure, all files be kept on the same disk. Now I'm used to that concept and I'm trying to replicate it in Drivepool. Not sure if that's a good approach though.

1 answer to this question

Absolutely. In fact, you may want to look up the "Ordered File Placement" balancer. It's designed for, well exactly what you want it for.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

The description should pretty much sum up why you want to install this balancer.

There is also the "File Placement Rules" (for v2.X). But that may require a lot more work for it to do what you want.