Soon to be new user, a few questions about covecube and backups

klepp0906

Question

I imagine i'll have plenty more as I get this ball rolling, but i don't pick up the DAS chassis until this weekend.   These are the only pre-emptives that come to mind. 

1) i see covecube has been around since ~2011 or some such.  I have no idea about the size of the company or how future plans but a reddit post i came across somewhere during research suggested that updates are rare and made it sound like it was to become vaporware.   i'm about to pool/shuffle/move a HUGE amount of data (think >100tb) that ive had path(ed) in with various scripts and softwares for a long long time.  its gonna be a ton of work.   pooling is really the only solution and i should have done it a long time ago.   that being said, I dont want to have to procure extra drives and do this all again should anything ever happen.  ideally this will be the "final" solution.   I know this is a very ambiguous inquiry and i dont expect to be let in on business plans as thats none of my business.  I'm just trying to ascertain whether its reasonable to expect for this to be around and functional for lots of years :P

2) less ambiguous.  I use macrium reflect.  it has saved my ass enough times over the years that i'll use it for the rest of my life.  Its my understanding that from within windows macrium/the macrium gui will see the pool as its presented,  as a single disk.  for macrium to function as far as backup sets and retention rules go it requires the backups to go into a single folder.   it seems drivepool likes to shuffle things all over.  This presents a few sub-questions.

A) how does this work with macriums image guardian which prevents any modification/moving/deletion of the backups? I assume drivepool would be told to kick rocks.  can the macrium backup folder be excluded from whatever feature does the "shuffling"?

b) how is the Pool seen outside of windows?  when restoring from macrium you can start the restore from within windows, but it will reboot to the rescue environment to complete it.   even worse if you cant get into windows and you need to use the bootable usb media/rescue environment, would macrium see the pool/see the backups at that point?  has anyone used macrium with drivepool that has first hand knowledge?   would i be better off keeping my macrium disk outside of the pool?   I plan on removing the drive letters from anything pooled as drive letter limitations is what forced me into this mess (only so many letters in the english alphabet lol).

sorry for the book but i've already purchased so youre stuck with what to come :( 

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet