Volume Shadow Copy Service error

Kevin Fonda

Question

Hi guys,

I get the following 2 errors in my logs twice a day. I tracked it down to the vvsadmin command being run by TaskScheduler at 6am and 1pm. There are 3 instances of the task 1 for the volume that is drive C: 1 for Drive D: (both on 1st physical disk) and 1 for Drive N: which is the DrivePool and also the one showing the error.

I don't know what this task is for or why it only appears for those 3 volumes.

I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

I have 3 questions:

1. What does this task do?

2. Can I delete the task for the DrivePool volume without causing any adverse efects?

3. Should I be concerned that the other volumes don't run this task?

Type :        Error
Date :        6/19/2014
Time :        1:00:13 PM
Event :        7001
Source :        VSS
Category :    None
User :        N/A
Computer :    SERVER2012.COMPUWIZ.local
Description:
VssAdmin: Unable to create a shadow copy: The shadow copy provider had an error. Please see the system and application event logs for more information.
Command-line: 'C:\Windows\system32\vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=15 /For=\\?\Volume{51561225-62ee-4627-aa23-da7ee461ff03}\'.

Type :        Error
Date :        6/19/2014
Time :        1:00:13 PM
Event :        12289
Source :        VSS
Category :    None
User :        N/A
Computer :    SERVER2012.COMPUWIZ.local
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{51561225-62ee-4627-aa23-da7ee461ff03} - 0000000000000194,0x0053c008,000000A696C320F0,0,000000A696C33100,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80820001, The bootfile is too small to support persistent snapshots.

Operation:
   Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
   Execution Context: System Provider

3 answers to this question

By default, the VSS service takes two snapshots of the volumes every day. Specifically, for use with the "Previous Versions" feature.

However, the DrivePool volume doesn't support VSS, and as such will fail.

I would recommend disabling it for the DrivePool volume. Specifically, DISABLE and not delete, because I believe the system may automatically recreate this task. I'm not 100% sure about it, but it would be simpler to disable it.

As for any other volumes not running the task... it's because they haven't been configured for it. And that's perfectly fine.

Thanks for the very quick response. Are you ever not on one forum or another? :-)

Keep up the great work with DrivePool and Scanner. It's one of the most useful pieces of software I have ever purchased and I don't think I've ever seen anyone say anything negative about it.

You are very welcome.

And ... pretty much never. I work from home, so I have plenty of free time. I also have tapatalk installed on my phone, so I get notifications about new posts. :)

And I'm glad to hear that you're loving both of our products! 

And there is a reason there is pretty much no negative comments: we try to bend over backwards to help anyone having an issue with our software. That, and personally, I genuinely like helping people out with their issues.