Did DrivePool Corrupt my files?

Sal

Question

Hello, I just started the 30 day Trial, looking for a alternative to Storage Space. Was testing things out built a pool no duplication, every thing seemed fine then I shut down the PC and turned back on and Drive Pool was telling me "Duplication Warnings"  -  "There were problems checking, duplicating or cleaning up one or more files on the pool" 4 files listed 2 videos and 2 .rar files I cant view, move, copy, or even delete these 4 files windows is telling me " File or directory is corrupted and unreadable" the other files in those 2 folders work just fine. It is just those 4. I did install a few Disk Info type programs trying to view the Smart data of my drives but I dont think those actualy do anything to drives cept read the hard drive Smart info. After this happened Drive Pool would tell me a few of the hard drives were not connected after a restart of the system, even though I could see them in Explorer and even view the files on them, If i restarted the system again they would show up just fine in DrivePool, very odd problem.

Then i thought maybe windows just did somthing funny to mess things up so I did a system restore to before I even installed DrivePool, reinstalled it same thing. I did install the StableBit Scanner and it is scanning each drive as I type this but that will take all night 13 drives total only 2 fully scanned as I post this. Not really sure what to do now, I have been looking into  Storage Space alternative's the past week or 2 and I narrowed down what I thought to be best fit for me was DrivePool and Driveblender. So I started the trial of this first, I was under the impresion that DrivePool wont touch or altar my files aside from when they are moved? BTW this was a total fresh install of Windows 8 last night.

My system specs are

Windows 8

Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O

Kingston Technology ValueRAM 8GB

Intel i3

120gb ssd for OS

600w Cooler Master PSU

3 WD 1 tb Green

1 WD 1 tb Black

1 WD 1.5 tb Green

2 WD 3 tb Green

5 WD 3 tb Red

I have 2 3 tb Greens and 3 3tb Reds in a Pool right now

Some advice be nice :) from every thing I have read online this seems to be a decent peice of software, And I really dont want to use Storage Space any more

3 answers to this question

No, DrivePool should not ever corrupt files. In fact, that's our #1 concern. We try to make sure that there are no conditions that will adversely affect your data.

However, based on the error you've reported, it looks like that StableBit DrivePool is having issues accessing the files on one or more of your disks.

I would recommend running chkdsk on your drives, as that may fix the issue. (on the disks in the pool, not the DrivePool volume).

Additionally, StableBit DrivePool 2.1.0.558 was officially released today. I'd recommend updating to that, and see if it fixes your issues.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Download

I see, I did run check disk and there were a few problems with those files i hit fix but it seems the files were just deleted by windows lol, The Drives seem to be fine, I did download the new version and installed the "Ordered File Placement' Plug-in, So far every thing seems to be working fine, copying data over to the pool now plan to do some more testing. I do have a question though, is DrivePool designed to be on a system that is always on? or can it be safe to power down when not in use. This is for a Media & file back up server that only I use, basically as a giant network drive. I tend to use it a 2 or 3 times a week then just shut it down.

If there was significant damage to the file system, then yes, it could "delete" the damaged files.

You may be able to run data recovery to get the files back, if nothing else has been written to the disk.

And no, StableBit DrivePool doesn't require the system to be on all the time. You can absolutely leave it off for long periods of time. Though I would recommend letting it settle first (finish balancing and duplication), and then turn it off.