Stablebit Remote Control app does not see DrivePool running on media server

gtaus

Question

I have DrivePool running on my home media server computer. It normally does not have a monitor attached. So I access and control DrivePool from my other computers using the DrivePool Remote Control app features.

One of my laptop computers recently died and I had to replace it. When I installed the DrivePool app, initially it would not accept my license. A quick email to DrivePool Support solved that problem and now the app is running on my new laptop. However, it does not see I have DrivePool already running on my network. On the "Manage a different computer running StableBit DrivePool" banner, the only option I have is the new laptop itself. It does not list my server with DrivePool running on it.

The new laptop is running Windows 10 Home, whereas my other computers all have Windows 10 Pro. I don't know if that makes any difference. I have checked and made sure that the Stablebit DrivePool program has Private permission checked to go through the Firewall by Defender - the same setting on all my other computers. My DrivePool on the server is showing up in the network share as Drive J: and I can transfer files without any problems. I just can't get the DrivePool Remote Control app to work on the new laptop. Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed. Thanks. 

2 answers to this question

Answering my own question. After having basically given up on the DrivePool remote app on my replacement laptop for the past 4 weeks, I decided again to uninstall the app and reinstall it with a fresh copy a few days ago. For whatever reason, this time the app worked and connected to my DrivePool on my home server. It's all a mystery to me as to why it did not work before, but it's working now.