Disk 2 - t2 - 6TB - Sata
Disk 3 - t4 - 2TB - Sata
Disk 4 - f1 - 4TB - Sata
Disk 5 - 3 way partition - 2TB - Sata
Disk 6 - t - 14TB - DrivePool T
Disk 7 - f - 4TB - DrivePool F
Disk 8 - t3 - 4TB - USB

My motherboard is Asus P8P67 Pro.

This chip supports two SATA-600 ports and four SATA-300 ports, supporting RAID (0, 1, 5 and 10). The manufacturer added two additional SATA-600 ports, controlled by a Marvell 88SE9172 chip (RAID 0 and 1).

I've only got 6 of the drives connected by sata, as I couldn't get the two Marvell ports to see any drives, however I'd much rather use all 8 sata ports.

I use StableBit DrivePool and I have 2 pooled drives -

F - 4TB
T - 2TB, 4TB, 4TB & 6TB

My pooled drives are set up in Windows Disk Management without drive letters but they have a path to C:\drives\f, C:\drives\t1, C:\drives\t2, C:\drives\t3 & C:\drives\t4 for the storage setup.

Originally the F drive had 2 x 2TB drives however I had to add one of them to the T pool to increase storage space, so my F pool is actually one drive on its own.

I'm planning on replacing the 2TB (T pool) with another 6TB drive, however I'm struggling with lack of sata connections on my mboard at the moment.

If I simply unplug the 4TB (F pool) drive, then connect the 6TB, add to T pool, then remove the 2TB from the T pool, can I then reconnect the 4TB (F pool) drive.

Will my plan work with no data loss - I had a 4TB hdd fail from the T pool 2 weeks ago, I made the mistake of removing it first, then added the 6TB but I'd lost about 3TB of data as the existing drives weren't large enough to deal with the 4TB removal. I'm still slowly recovering all the lost data.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to let you all have a little history of my setup.

1 answer to this question