Trial User - Balancing questions

gtaus

Question

After another catastrophic failure and data loss with Windows Storage Spaces, I am looking into Drive Pool as a safer replacement. I started out with 1 HDD, filled 2.53/2.73 TB with data, then added 2 more HDDs. New data was written to the new HDDs. Everything is working fine. Now I added another three 4TB HDDs to the pool to make a total of 18.2TB in the pool. As I started transferring data to the Drive Pool, again it wrote the transferred data to the newly added empty drives. All good. Last night I noticed that Drive Pool was doing a "Balancing" of the HDDs in the pool. This morning, I see not much changes in the data levels on the HDDs and my original HDD is still at 2.53/2.73 TB. The other HDDs are, more or less, reporting 1.38/3.64 TB. In short, I have 5 HDDs which all appear to be "balanced" at ~40% but 1 HDD, my original HDD, is still sitting at 93% used.

I would like to learn more about how Drive Pool balances the data levels on the HDDs and whether or not I should be concerned that after "Balancing" I have on drive still at 93% and the other 5 drives all sitting at about ~40%. Any links to relevant articles on Drive Pool Balancing methods or help in responses to my question would be most welcome. Thank you.

2 answers to this question

On 4/7/2020 at 8:43 PM, malse said:

Thanks for the link. I read, and reread those articles. It seems to me that "balancing" in Drive Pool only moves files off a drive if there is not enough free space on other drives for duplication. In my case, I have 6 drives, 5 of which are less than half full so there is no need to move files off my 1 drive that is 93% full. If my understanding is correct, I am very happy with this strategy because I don't care to move files around just for the sake of having all drives at the same % of free space.