WHS V1 to WHS 2011 Migration Problems

RJGNOW

Question

New User Here... I just upgraded my WHS version 1 installation to WHS 2011 (old WHS V1 box died), by following the instructions posted here. I'm farily certian I followed the instruction, but All of the folders are empty.

1) When I open the folders in the Dashboard, they are empty.

2) When I open the folders across the network, the folders are empty.

3) When I open the DrivePool Folder via RDP everything is there.

How do I get the functionality back on 1 and 2?

4 answers to this question

Drashna,

Working through a similar process with a ex495 with whs 2011.   I have an old hp ex487 with  whsv1.   In addition to migrating data from whsv1, I'm also putting in new hard disks.

A couple questions:

1) Given that there are limited drive slots, does the migration process need to be able to see all of the whsv1 data drives at the same time?

2) I'd like to keep the whs v1 drive intact (so I can put them back in the whsv1) so would I copy the data instead of moving it?

1. Yes and no. The data is scattered between all the different disks. So to ensure that you get ALL of your data, yes you want all the disks attached. 
  2. Absolutely. Well, sort of. If you're copying to other disks, then yes, that would be fine. However,if this is all on the same disks.... I would recommend against it as WHSv1's Drive Extender can be very finicky.