Covecube Inc.
CpN

Different size hdd's

Question

Hi

I'm new to this forum, but not to Stablebit Drivepool and Scanner.

My drivepool is made up by 5 hdd's.

4x3TB and 1x5TB.

I want to add a new hdd to the pool, but unsure what size would be best.

I'm considering:

6TB, 8TB, 10TB or 12TB.

What would you recommend?

2 answers to this question

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:38 AM, Mermalion said:

8tb seems to be the best price/gb. I'd get a WD easy store and take the drive out. Only $140 for 8tb is pretty good.

That's assuming the OP's in the US, as certainly in the UK then the 10TB WD Elements drives have typically been cheaper per TB than the 8TB for a while now.

(& the EasyStore's are effectively not available)

So, whilst not the best price they've been as the price of the 10TBs is pretty volatile; well I picked up another 2 on the 5th of March for £174.10 each &, at the time, they were within a couple of pounds of the 8TB…

...atm Amazon have the 8TB for £174.99 (£21.87 per TB) & the 10TB for £194.78 (£19.48 per TB).

Obviously the downside to what we're suggesting though is voiding the warranty by shucking them...

…& certainly the latest 2 drives I bought needed the pin 3 mod to work with the backplane in my server case; & so had to buy some Kapton tape... …& whilst only needing a tiny bit for each, it was all of £1.54 delivered for 33 metres of the stupid stuff.