Drivepool trial queries

MartinW

Question

Hi all, I'm trying to get to grips with WHS2011 and Drivepool and I'd be grateful for a bit of advice on a couple of questions.

1. I downloaded v1.3.5.7572 but notice that there's a v2.0 out - is it possible to trial this version?

2. Under WHS2011, is it best to let WHS format 4TB drives into 2x2TB partitions?  (I gather that WHS2011 can't backup a partition >2TB).  Part of the reason for asking is to understand how folder duplication works -  is Drivepool intelligent enough to put duplicated files on a different physical drive and not on a different partition of the same drive?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

1 answer to this question

Martin,

You can definitely trial version 2.x as well. But for WHS2011, I'd recommend the 1.3 version as it is designed for WHS2011. It includes much tighter dashboard integration. 

But you can use either version, without any issues.

For DrivePool, it can initialize and format the drives automatically for you. That is the ideal option here.

Otherwise, I'd recommend initializing them to GPT (not MBR) which allows to create partitions larger than 2TBs. 

And yes, DrivePool is smart enough to not put duplicate files on the same physical disk.

As for the Server Backups, unless you have a truly large drive for this, or a very small amount of data.... I'd recommend just backing up the system disk. If you need to backup the data, I'd recommend backing it up to another drive or drives. Something with much larger capacity.

I'd also recommend checking out this:

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool

That has a lot of the basic information that you may want to know. After going through that, if you have any other questions, or need clarification about anything, don't hesitate to ask.