Optimize SSD performance in mixed SDD/HDD pool

kkoshelev

Question

I have 2 SSD and 1 HDD pool and I have set up 2x duplication for important folders where one copy is on SSD and another on HDD.
I also set up SSD Optimizer plugin to make writes faster. I have read stripping enabled and duplicated files are randomly read from both HDD and SSD, obviously SSD reads are much faster. 

How do I configure the pool that duplicated files are read only from SSD? I don't want HDD reads to slow things down.

Or more generic question: what would be the recommendation to configure the pool that I have duplication and best performance (both read and write) for important files.

Thanks,
Konstantin

2 answers to this question

On 11/15/2018 at 10:57 AM, kkoshelev said:

I have 2 SSD and 1 HDD pool and I have set up 2x duplication for important folders where one copy is on SSD and another on HDD.
I also set up SSD Optimizer plugin to make writes faster. I have read stripping enabled and duplicated files are randomly read from both HDD and SSD, obviously SSD reads are much faster. 

How do I configure the pool that duplicated files are read only from SSD? I don't want HDD reads to slow things down.

Or more generic question: what would be the recommendation to configure the pool that I have duplication and best performance (both read and write) for important files.

Now it seems that balancer doesn't honor file placement rules. It keeps moving un-duplicated files back and forth between HDD and SSD. That is just ridiculous.

I can request "re-balance" manually but it never finish, just keep doing something and then stops with "file placement is not optimal".

How do I make it stop before it uses all SSD Life? That's just bad.