Moving Disk Pool To A New Server

mbc0

Question

Hi,

Firstly I am sorry if this has been asked before but I can only find "Variances" of my question, my data is important to me so I am looking for assurance before I take the leap!

I currently  have WHS2011 and 20TB pooled (About 16TB Duplicated) but am upgrading my server as I have outgrown my N36L sadly 

I am planning to build the new server with WHS2011 and install Drivepool, to copy that amount of data (I have done it before) will take an age and would like to instead just place all the drivepool disks into the new server, can anyone please let me know what pitfalls I may encounter and the correct procedure to do this?

Many Thanks for your time/hard work & Happy New Year!

1 answer to this question

Well, the Pool is "portable".  As long as you move all the pooled disks over, once you have DrivePool installed on the new system, it will recognize the pooled disks and recreate the pool. Nothing that you need to do, and no moving over 20TBs of data.... just the disks. :)

And the Pool is backwards and forwards compatible. So if you move the DrivePool 2.x, you will be fine, as well.

Though, you will want to download and run the "WSS Troubleshooter" utility. Namely, run the "Restore DrivePool Shares" options. This will reshare the folders from the pool for you.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities