Read striping bad data

jamesbc17

Question

I run a program called par2deep that creates par2 files for every file in a directory.  It's used to overcome bit rot.  

I've found that when I use it to verify any file in the system and have read striping turned on, it causes the program to say files are corrupt.  If I turn off read striping (and change nothing else), the program verifies every file as being perfect.  I've even used a hex editor on a few files and changed a single bit to prove the program is working when read striping is off.

I also copied 40 gigs of mkv and par2 files from another standalone drive to the pool.  I tried this with and without realtime duplication turned on.  I then used Beyond Compare to compare the files with and without read striping on.  Any time I turn on read striping, I get file verification errors.

Any thoughts?

1 answer to this question

Out of curiosity, does QuickPar have the same issue? 

Also, could you enable file system logging and reproduce this issue? 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Additionally, could you try this on each of your individual disks and see if the issues occur there, and not just on the pool? 

Unfortunately, we have gotten a few reports like this, and we haven't been able to identify the cause yet.  But if you can grab the logs, and open a ticket, it may help to pin down the cause.