Problems with Measuring & Balancing

Methanoid

Question

My system doesnt want to measure the whole pool.. I get random errors on some files so I assume that is what stops it finishing? I've deleted files and set them to re-download from other sources but still having issues. 

And then the balancer in the SSD plugin is not actually moving files. I have LOTS of files (many 100s of GB) that are on the wrong drive for various reasons to do with migrating in from a previous FS and it just does not move them, at all! Even with immediate balance...    I guess cos it cannot get the measuring right?

Any ideas as I need to get this working!

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Methanoid said:

My system doesnt want to measure the whole pool.. I get random errors on some files so I assume that is what stops it finishing? I've deleted files and set them to re-download from other sources but still having issues. 

Are the errors truly random?  Have you run a chkdsk /f against all the physical drives in your pool to see if the underlying file system and contents are okay?  Drivepool passes file system commands to the drives, so if it's encountering errors on a NTFS volume, then chkdsk should see those as well.

3 hours ago, Methanoid said:

And then the balancer in the SSD plugin is not actually moving files. I have LOTS of files (many 100s of GB) that are on the wrong drive for various reasons to do with migrating in from a previous FS and it just does not move them, at all! Even with immediate balance...    I guess cos it cannot get the measuring right?

When you created the Drivepool volume, did the disks you put it on have any other files on them outside the pool?  That would throw the re-measure off, and make the 'Other' category in DP seem abnormally large.

When you migrated from the other file system, did you reset Windows/NTFS permissions on all of the content?  Can you move them by hand yourself?

Are you using the Disk Space Equalizer plugin to force the balancing? (DP won't immediately re-balance unless this is enabled)  Do you have any unusual file placement rules in DP that might mess with the balancing routine?

Thanks. I am resetting Windows permissions right now on whole 80TB pool (so might be a while!). Yeah I had files and brought them into the Pool.   

I am not using Disk Space Equalizer (Covecube recommends NOT to use other plugins with SSD plugin) but SSD Plugin allows ordered placement etc and that isnt happening (probably all down to the permissions and failure to perform measurement on the pool).

Other than letting Christopher take over, I have one last thing to suggest...   Copy the offending files off the pool to a different local disk (i.e. not any disk in the pool).  Verify they are good in the new location, then delete the originals.  Then set permissions on the copied ones and move them back to the pool.  Then try a re-measure.  

If the measuring is failing to finish, then it won't balance the data that isn't measured.  So ... that's the first issue.

And like jaga said, running a check of all of the disks in the pool would be the best place to start.  Then remeasure. 

And yeah, resetting the permissions may help too, as the balancing is done from the "SYSTEM" account. 

If that doesn't help, then let me know.