HybridPool confusion

ericksilvas

Question

So I'm a bit confused with the HybridPool concept. I have a LocalPool with about 6 hard drives totalling 30TB. I have about 25TB populated and with this new hybrid concept I'm trying to know if I can use another pool (cloudpool) for duplication.
The part that I'm a litte confused is when I create a hybridpool with my cloudpool and my localpool I have to add all my 25TB of data on the new Hybridpool drive. On the localpool all my data appear in the "Other" section.
I really have to transfer all the data from the localpool to the hybridpool, or am I missing something?

Thanks

1 answer to this question

Well, sorry to make this confusing, but there are two different things here:  Hybrid pools, and hierarchical pools. 

Hybrid pools refer to a mix of local and remote disks.  THis is important, since the software favors local disks for reads. This reduces the load on CloudDrive, your bandwidth, and cache drives.  

* [Issue #27655] Added an indicator to the pooled disk tooltip to show when a drive is detected to be external.
* [D] [Issue #27655] When a file is opened, each open context is given a priority. Read striping will always work over the highest 
                     available priority class. 
                     Priority classes from lowest to highest are:
                        - CloudDrive, CloudPool, LocalExternalDrive, NonCloudPool, StandardDrive

Additionally, Hierarchical drives is where it gets really confusing.  You can add pools to pools. So you can do stuff like "duplication grouping" where one set of the duplicated files is on one disk (or pool), and the other is on another disk/pool.  

To do this, you'd add a CloudDrive disk/pool to a new pool, add your existing pool to this new pool, seed the pool and configure duplication on both pools. 

It sounds like this is what you're trying to do, but you're missing the "seeding" part here.  Fortunately, this is pretty simple:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

I hope that helps