Issue with VSS service and IO error

Todd S

Question

So, before I rebuild my 26TB system wanted to toss my issue out there and see if there is something I can do. 

Basically, what I have is VSS issues on my drive F (pooled) drive and IO issues:  The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 11 (PDO name: \Device\00000054) was retried.

Disk 11 is my F, pooled drive.  I try to chkdsk on it and I get the error, "The type of the file system is RAW"; however in Disk Manager it shows as NTFS and outside of VSS not working on the pool, btw it used it, there is no other issues with accessing data.  I thought in the past I could run chkdsk on the pool, but truthfully cannot remember.

Event viewer while trying chkdsk:

Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot. 

Checking file system on F:
The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information.
A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. You can try again, but if this problem persists, run an offline scan and fix.

Cannot run offline scan and fix as chkdsk thinks its a RAW file.

Outside of rebuilding my pool and reformatting, any ideas?

BTW, I have run chkdsk on each drive in the pool and no issues found on any drives.

3 answers to this question

This stuff can be safely ignored.

"logical block address" is the newer addressing method (LBA), rather than CHS.  So, it's basically querying Sector 0 on the drive.  But since the pool has no actual sectors, it errors out.  So this is normal, expected and not harmful.

As for the CHKDSK, it will fail on the pool, for much the same reason. It's a virtual drive, and not actually there. 

And as for VSS, it's not supported on the pool.