File duplication setting/moving systems

aBe_FX35

Question

Hello everyone,

I need a little advice and some help please, i currently have my drivepool set to x2 Duplication which i believe means there is an extra copy of every file on my drivepool. This is nice and i love it, however i am desperately running out of space, and i will be moving my entire Plex media setup to a new computer when move to a new country in a few months. I will be taking all my hard drives with me and will disconnect them and store them in travel safe containers, im thinking of buying external hard drives to backup my data during my travel and disable the file duplication in drivepool to gain another 6 TB of space, is this worth doing ? will there be any issues or data loss if i disable the file duplication to my drivepool ?

Thank you all, any advice of questions you have feel free to let me know.

1 answer to this question

29 minutes ago, aBe_FX35 said:

is this worth doing

That's a personal opinion.

Mine is "no".  It's better to have duplication.  And backup. 

Duplication protects against drive failure, backup protects against deletion and loss.  The difference is that backups are incremental and don't contain all changes.

And recovery is MUCH easier with duplication.  

And as somebody that has lost a good number of drives... you may be able to get the data back, but doing so is a PAIN. 

33 minutes ago, aBe_FX35 said:

will there be any issues or data loss if i disable the file duplication to my drivepool ?

In the immediate, no.  But as above ....