How does the restoring function of duplication work?

Method007

Question

Looking at moving to DrivePool+scanner as a means of duplicating data and monitoring health.  I've been reading a lot and have a few questions. 

1)  When duplicating, is the duplicated information moved in whole to another drive or is it broken up through multiple drives?  I have sixteen 8TB hard drives.  Is it possible for me to lose two drives at one time and find out that the duplicated information from drive 1 that failed was partially on another drive that failed?  

2)  If I have a duplicated folder structure and that hard drive dies, does the duplicated folder recopy itself to the new drive I put it automatically?  If there a faq for this process?

3)  Continued from above - are the duplicate folders accessible?  If I had a hard drive that died in the pool does the duplicate version of the files from the hard drive suddenly become accessible through the pool?  

4)  Are the duplicated folder structures in the pool view able through explorer?  I.e., any folder that is duplicated will show up twice?

Thanks for the help!

1 answer to this question

1. Each file is stored in whole.  Regardless of the duplication status.  We don't break up the files, ever.
    However, the files may be scattered between the drives, so that the contents of a single folder could be 10 different drives, with or without overlap. 

2. Yes. As soon as you remove the drive from the pool, it runs a duplication pass, and checks the status. And will it will reduplicate the data as necessary. 
    As for manuals:
    http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Removing a Drive from the Pool
    http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Missing Disks

3. Yes. All files are stored in hidden PoolPart folders on each drive.  
    And "sort of". There is no "master" and "duplicate" relationship. Each copy of the file is "valid" and identical. So, even if a disk fails, if the data is duplicated, it will still be in the pool. 

4. Yes, as above. And yes, to both. 
    But we don't recommend direct access for normal usage.