Putting MySQL databases onto the pool

DavidSomeone

Question

I am trying to move a MySQL database onto the pool so that it is duplicated etc. By default MySQL installs and puts it's databases on the C drive which is fine for the application but not for the databases as the system is on WHS2011 with only a 60Gb partition. To do this you need to edit the configuration file to change the database folder. The relevant entries are:

# Path to database root

datadir="C:/ProgramData/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.6/Data\"

which I've tried changing, after creating the folders, to:

datadir="//Server/Databases/MySQL\" and datadir="J:/Serverfolders/Databases/MySQL\" (J being the Drivepool virtual drive) to no avail.

Unfortunately the error messages are not verbose but it tries to create a test file in the folder which fails.

I have a similar problem when using IIS Manager to try to add a website that is on the pool. It does not work when using either the share, which it may just not support, or the virtual drive letter.

Everything works fine if I direct it to the D drive (remainder of the system SSD and not pooled) but that is limited in size and not duplicated.

Any idea how I can achieve either of these things?

10 answers to this question

I haven't personally put the MySQL database in the pool before, but that can cause issues. Namely with the way that it locks the database. That could potentially cause issues with the pool.

As for the IIS Manager issue, did it allow the folder/site to be used at all? And have you tried adding "IUSR" to the folders' security info, and give it full control? That usually resolves most of those types of issues.

However, I just quickly tested it, and it allowed me to create a site on the Pool just fine. But I am using build 2.1.0.432...

I'll see about testing the MySQL issue this week to see if I can duplicate the issue.

Though, in the meanwhile, if you edit the service and add "-l [file_name]" to the startup string for MySQL, that should enable logging.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Regarding IIS Manager.

I have already added IUSR with full control. I've tried Local Service and Network Service as well.

Accessing the site via IIS manager's "Browse Application" when the Physical Path is J:\ServerFolders\Websites\Personal

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error. The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.
Error Code    0x80070005
Config Error    Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions  
Config File    \\?\J:\ServerFolders\Websites\Personal\web.config

and when the Physical Path is \\Server\Websites\Personal
HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error. The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.
Error Code    0x80070005
Config Error    Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions
Config File    \\?\UNC\Server\Websites\Personal\web.config

So it is permissions but I'm stuck as to which. As I said it works fine when the Physical Path is to a normal disk.

I'll have a go at enabling logging with MySQL. I suspect the same issue.

Okay, that's definitely the newest version.

I'm pretty sure you haven't, but have you set up an "Advanced settings" file for DrivePool at any point? 
(DrivePool.Service.exe.config). If you're not sure, then the answer is no.

And I have a couple of things I needed to test on WHS2011 this week, so this just got added. I'm using 2.x and haven't had that issue. But I was using 1.3.3 a while back, and didn't have an issue with IIS...

And that IIS issue is definitely a permissions issue. Also, to make sure, did you look up the "site" on the server itself, using "http://localhost" ? 

If not, do that. The reason is that "localhost" gives a LOT more information about the errors. But it does look like you've done that.

To confirm:

I have not touched the advanced settings.

http://Localhost gives the same error message as in my post of 2nd December. For that post I used the link in IIS manager running on the server and have just repeated it directly. I'm still trying to find something in the Error Log.

I suspect both problems, with IIS and MySQL, are to do with permissions but in both cases the permissions are the same for the pool and for the normal disk so I can only conclude that there is something else to do with the pool.

I can't seem to be able to reproduce the IIS issue on any version of windows. It seems to work just fine.

Though what are the groups that have permission on the folder in question?

As for mySQL, it runs on the pool, but it does have issues moving the files around. "Oplock request denied" errors specifically. But that doesn't surprise me, as MySQL (and most databases) are fairly draconic about locking down their files.  But it definitely does run.

Though for the settings for mysql, make sure you use all the same slashs, and that the path ends with a slash as well. ("J:\ServerFolders\websites\wp-personal\MySQL\")

Okay, doing a bit more digging, this is a weird issue with the permissions on the folder.

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on  the root of the folder. But setting up a Server Folder definitely caused the same issue. And namely an "cannot write web.config" error.

But the static page shows up fine (default.htm or index.htm).

And even setting the permissions to match the root directory... it still won't write the config file (but it will in the root folder).