Logitech Media Server can't scan audio files with Japanese characters in filename

Nasho Mumbaki

Question

Hi, I am running Logitech Media Server 7.9 (http://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v7.9.0/)

Basically, it is a server that streams music to certain Logitech audio devices. It is unable to detect and scan mp3 files with Japanese or Korean characters (for example, 거짓말.mp3) when I put the mp3 file in a Drivepool drive. It can, however, detect the said mp3 file if it is stored on a regular non-pooled drive. It also has no problem detecting mp3 files with regular alphabet characters whether I put them in a regular or a pooled drive.

I have been having this problem for a while. I downloaded the latest beta (852) before posting here to see if it is resolved, but no luck there.

I have included a screenshot below. In the left panel is Windows Explorer where I have encircled the filenames that have Korean characters on them. In the right panel is the Logitech Media Server's interface where you can see that the mp3s with Korean characters are not displayed but those with regular alphabet characters are displayed just fine.

t_ara_circled.jpg

3 answers to this question

to be blunt, I suspect that this is an issue with how Logitech Media server is accessing the files.

I have some J-Pop/K-Pop on my server, and it plays just fine using Groove Music and Windows Media Player.  

(babymetal specifically, and kanji, hiragana, and katakana characters in the file names) 

I created file with Hangul (korean characters), to test this in case it is language specific, and ... it doesn't have issues either.

It does seem to ONLY be with Logitech Media Server.

If you could, enable drive tracing and reproduce: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

(eg, initiate a scan). 

And after doing that, could you run this: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

Oh hello there, fellow kitsune. Yeah LMS has other quirks aside from this and it is being updated less and less lately (last update was March), but I think this issue is more of Drivepool's concern since I believe that the aim of a pooled drive should be to not look any different from a non-pooled drive when viewed and utilized by any apps (except hard drive-related apps maybe).

Regarding the logs, what should I look out for in the C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service directory? Because after I enabled file system logging and start the LMS scan, the files in that directory don't seem to be updating, so I might be submitting logs to you that don't have the right info.

Yup, we agree.   We want the software to work as a normal disk as much as possible.  

The exceptions are for stuff that rely on block level stuff or some much more advanced file system features. (hard links, vss, etc)

Specifically, it should create logs in "C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\Logs\CoveFS".

There should be "elt" files, IIRC.

If it's not producing these, then let me know.