Pulled healthy drive in one set-up--SMART warning in new one

zeus163

Question

I replaced some drives in my server with larger ones. All three of the old drives that were being replaced showed as healthy in Stablebit Scanner. I put two of them in another machine and when I restarted, Stablebit Scanner came up with, "The on-disk S.M.A.R.T. check is not predicting imminent disk failure. However, some well known S.M.A.R.T. attributes that are indicators of mechanical problems are showing signs that the drive could be failing." Apparently, the error is for reallocated sectors.

I'm just curious why this would be considered healthy in one machine and not on this one? All I did was unplug it and walk it upstairs. I know hard drives can be delicate beasts, but I'm just curious.

2 answers to this question

More than likely, you probably ignored it on the old system.  So it wasn't showing up anymore.  But since you placed the disk in a new system, it's no longer being ignored, and shows up.

Otherwise, it's entirely possible that the reallocated sectors developed as a result of the move (highly unlikely though). 

Interesting. All drives except one were reported as healthy. The one that wasn't was a 3TB drive that I had removed from the Drivepool previously so that I wouldn't lose any files. I had also removed these from the Drivepool as well, but in Scanner the three 2TB drives all showed as healthy. You mention possibly ignoring it. So, was the healthy notice a false positive?