Help with a few questions

Pete

Question

Hi, been using Drivepool for a number of years. 

I have been using Folder duplication and setting the duplication levels on each folder manually. If i now enable Pool Duplication what will happen with the folder duplication that i have set 3x duplication?

Also i am looking at replacing a few drives. what is the best procedure without causing errors?

Add new drive to pool to create the pool folder

Turn off Drivepool services 

Copy files from old Pool drive to new

Turn on drivepool serivce

remove old drive from pool

and finally is there anyway to have the lowest nested folder to be stored on the same drive rather than spread across all drives? 

1 answer to this question

Enabling Pool Duplication will not change the folders that you've set. 

Specifically, when setting this, the duplication level will be inherited by any folder that has not been manually set. 

So any folders not duplicated will no be duplicated. But if you have set a custom duplication level, that will be retained. 

As for removing the drive ... no, use the UI. 

Just remove the drive from the UI, power down the system (if it doesn't support hot swapping), connect the new drive, and then add it to the pool.

Alternatively, connect the new drive, add it to the pool, remove the other disk from the pool, and then remove the old drive. 

There is absolutely no need to move files around manually. StableBit DrivePool is designed from the ground up to handle this for you.  Removing a disk moves all of the data off of the drive before removing it, specifically to handle this for you.  (in fact, Alex is working hard to drastically improve the removal process to make it that much more seamless). 

and finally is there anyway to have the lowest nested folder to be stored on the same drive rather than spread across all drives? 

If you want a specific folder "stuck" on a specific drive, then you want to use File Placement Rules.