Cache Usage and Disconnects

ghaun

Question

Hello,

I apologize in advance if there is already a solution to my problem.

I am running a 10TB cloud drive with a 1TB SSD cache drive with a 500GB cache.  I was hoping to utilize the entire drive as cache, even still the cache is only 10% filled.  The clouddrive contains 896GB, so why isn't this all in cache, until it needs to be flushed.

Given requests and my lack of knowledge in tuning at the moment, I frequently find the drive disconnected in which I need to click 'Retry'

Here is what I am envisioning as desired operation.  With such a large cache drive, I should be able to effectively fill it up with data based on requests and have items purged based on new requests, etc.  Currently, the cache is only filled to 49.5 GB (10%).  Even when the clouddrive becomes slow and or bandwidth constricted based on the provider, I would expect the local drive connection for write to be maintained, given the cache and reads to be allowed, if contained in the cache.  Is there a way to tell it to not disconnect and just create a large delay, if not found in the cache and or allow writes to the cache until restored?  Can I pin specific items in the cache?  This would be helpful.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

2 answers to this question

The cache fills as the drive is used. It doesn't actively go out and download enough data to fill the cache drive.  

So if you're only seeing about 10% usage, then it's because you've only accessed about that much info. 

If you want to force it to use more, then use something to read the content. 

If you're using media file, you can use a script to run the following to read through video/audio files:

ffmpeg -v error -i source.mp4 -f null - 2>error.log

This will read through the file, and should cause the entire file to be cached. 

Thanks for the response.  When I initially copied the content to the cloud drive, why didn't this fill the cache at that time? I would assume that data is first written to the cache and then uploaded based on bandwidth.  Given that the local bandwidth considerations, the initial copy would have filled the cache drive, well before the upload to the cloud drive was achieved.  From what you are saying the cache is only used on download.  Is this correct?

Also, is there a way to increase the cache size to my full 1TB drive?

Thanks,

Greg