SSD Optimizer and drive balancing

Branimator

Question

Hello,

Just got Drivepool and I am using the SSD optimizer plugin with a 500gb SSD feeding 8 mechanical drives. I have read all the posts on the forum about disabling other balance plug ins and have done so.

Everything seems good but about a day after I enabled the SSD plugin, the balance of my drives went unbalanced. For instance the SSD "landing zone" does work in that all new files go to the SSD correctly and stay on the drive until it's moved to the archive drives later on.

Problem is, it is moving all the files to one particular drive only. This drive is a 6tb drive, that is now completely full and the other drives have much more free space. it seems odd in that I was getting "unusable for duplication" in the main pie chart. So I set all settings back to default, disabled all plugins and re-enabled the SSD optimizer and this seemed to correct the problem ( i probably had a rules conflict as I like to tinker with settings).

Now that one drive is completely full and the blue indicator arrow that is on all the other drives is not there anymore on that particular drive. It's missing and I am not sure if that's normal, does this mean Drivepool will not be writing any new files to the drive or is indication that something is wrong?  All the red indicator arrows are there, and fully to the left.  To me, it seems like it's still trying to write to that drive as I see the drive letter in disk activity being actively written to.

Sorry I can't take a screenshot of it atm, busy at work. but I can if need be. 

Thanks,

4 answers to this question

Yes. All other balancers disabled.

Yes I am using duplication.

Yes only one ssd drive checked all others are at archive.

K. Will post screen shot soon. Just wondering if the missing top blue indicator arrow is something I should be worried about or is that normal when the drive is full?

post-6157-0-34841800-1494547974_thumb.png

Screenshots! First drive (k) is my SSD, F is the drive that ssd optimizer filled up. Also it's missing that blue arrow, Oh and when I got the "Unusable for duplication" error I upgraded from the latest stable release and am now running the latest beta to see if that solved the problem. Which it seemed to have solved the "unusable for duplication" problem, but I am left with the screenshot. Maybe everything is working as it should? 

Thanks

Ah, okay, this is normal then. 

Specifically, StableBit DrivePool puts files on the disk with the most available free space first (measured absolutely, not percentage).  Meaning that it would have filled the 6TBs until they were about 2TB free. Once they were ~4TB full, it would then use the 2TB drives as well and filled them roughly equally.  But that depends on the size of the files that you're adding. 

Additionally, because you're not using 2x SSDs, it means that it's falling back onto one of the Archive drives, and the F:\ drive in this case (most likely).  This would cause that drive to fill up faster, in general.