Local Cache Full

gomisweird88

Question

So if I were to attach my ACD or Google Drive account, by default (and I can't change this), all my local cache goes to my regular C drive which has a capacity of 500gb.

So what this means is that I can only transfer 500gb of files at a time...because my cache fills up.

However, I do have a 6TB external HDD, but I can't use this external drive for my local cache.

I also don't know how to incorporate DrivePool or if that even applies to this situation. I don't know what the "Local Disk" option in Cloudrive does, but I'm testing out a few things.

If anyone could give me a work around to not caching the files on my C drive but rather to my external HDD, that would be amazing and it would let me transfer files at nearly 6TB at a time!

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Basically, yes. 

Well, the free space that you have on the disk in question. 

Specifically, as you write data, it will fill up the cache.  But as that data is uploaded, it's removed from the cache. 

Therare a couple of posts that talk about the cache more in depth:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1610-how-the-stablebit-clouddrive-cache-works/

http://blog.covecube.com/2016/12/stablebit-clouddrive-1-0-0-777-beta/

That said, we don't allow removable drives for cache, because if they disconnect (and they tend to do so).... the only graceful way to handle this is to BSOD. 

But keep in mind, filling the cache is like filling a pitcher with a whole. Even as you poor more into it, it's emptying.  

And if you do run out of space, it will throttle writes to prevent you from filling up the drive, slowing down whatever is copying the data to the drive. 

Basically, yes. 

Well, the free space that you have on the disk in question. 

Specifically, as you write data, it will fill up the cache.  But as that data is uploaded, it's removed from the cache. 

Therare a couple of posts that talk about the cache more in depth:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1610-how-the-stablebit-clouddrive-cache-works/

http://blog.covecube.com/2016/12/stablebit-clouddrive-1-0-0-777-beta/

That said, we don't allow removable drives for cache, because if they disconnect (and they tend to do so).... the only graceful way to handle this is to BSOD. 

But keep in mind, filling the cache is like filling a pitcher with a whole. Even as you poor more into it, it's emptying.  

And if you do run out of space, it will throttle writes to prevent you from filling up the drive, slowing down whatever is copying the data to the drive. \

I know that but it's a hassle to watch the progress when you can just dump all the TBs and not worry about it. This constant back and forth is a bit annoying. You guys should def allow removables as local cache drives.

I know that but it's a hassle to watch the progress when you can just dump all the TBs and not worry about it. This constant back and forth is a bit annoying. You guys should def allow removables as local cache drives.

The problem is that USB/removable drives can disappear from the system.  And by "can", I mean that the specifications themselves specifically allow this to occur.  

And the reason it's a problem, is that when it does happen (even for a second), then ONLY good solution here is to BSOD.  Otherwise, it can/will cause the system to lockup or worse. 

From a development standpoint, there isn't a good way to handle this gracefully, so the best option here is to disable the ability to use removable drives. 

That said, there is a feature request to allow this regardless, but it would absolutely be an "at your own risk" thing.