Does DrivePool use the recyclebin. Finding missing data.

jaspen

Question

I recently started to test out DrivePool with Snapraid.  I was previously using traid and kept having issues with it.  All I want is to use Drivepool for the pooling only and snapraid for the security.  

I first started to migrate old data into DrivePool.  I ended up using the troubleshooting to reset to try and ensure it moved it registered all the data properly before running snapraid.  I thought it said it did not touch balancing options but after remeasuring the drive it started to balance.  I stop the balance, went in and disabled the balance and then hit remeasure again.  Afterwards one drive kept showing 64 gigs of other.  This was not the case beforehand.  Before all of this there was only 36 or so gigs free.  After some searches, I started to try and locate the files that weren't in the pool folder.  I deleted the recycle bin, which I have disabled globally, and it freed up 64 gigs of space which should had been data.  Now the drive shows over 100 gigs free.

My question is, does DrivePool use the recycle bin to balance, duplicate or any of its other features?  If so, I guess that means I screwed up and lost 64 gigs of unknown data?

It is late and I am about to pass out so forgive me for grammar and poor penmanship.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

It can, depending on how you're using the pool. 

If you're accessing the pool drive, and you "recycle" files, it will go into the recycle bin.  

As for balancing and duplication? No.  When moving  files around, we create a ".COPYTEMP" file, and when the file is finished being copied, we rename it and remove the original file.  This way, if something goes wrong, the system reboots, etc... no files are damaged/corrupted/etc.