Data Reads slow with DrivePool & CloudDrive

Ray Priddy

Question

Hello,

I've done a bit of searching and can't quite find the answer to my problem.

First off: My software versions:

CloudDrive 1.0.0.631 BETA

DrivePool 2.1.1.561

I have a Drive Pool consisting of a local Disk and a Cloud Drive.  I am using Amazon Cloud Drive (hence the 1.0.0.631 version software).

My pool is set up to duplicate everything x2...and since I have 2 devices (one local, one cloud), everything gets duplicated both locally and in the cloud.

It has worked nearly flawlessly.  I've only had a few problems during power outages where the Pool had to remeasure and re-balance.

The only persistent issue I see is when I try to access files.  If I load a folder full of music, it seems to take forever while the meta-data is pulled into the windows explorer view.

Upon further investigation, it looks like some (if not all) of the read I/O is going to Amazon Cloud Drive to pull down this information.  Since all data is fully duplicated on the local hard disk, I was wondering if there was any way for Drive Pool to "Prioritize" drive reads?  For instance, never read something from the cloud when it exists locally.

Is this possible?

2 answers to this question

In theory, the Read Striping feature should handle this on duplicated data. 

Additionally, you may want to make sure that directory structures are being pinned on the drive in question (Under "Disk Options" -> "Performance" -> "Pinning"), though these should be enabled by default. 

Additionally, adding better handling is something that has been requested, and we've discussed.  And it's definitely something that may help here. 

Though, as for the versions, I beleive that Alex has changed the handling ofr ACD, so if you wanted to try the 1.0.0.777 build, that may help out.

I guess I can just hit the underlying file structure and deal with the occasional duplication mismatch that doing that might cause.

I say that because I know that I will forget and be in the underlying files and accidentally commit a write.

Thanks for the reply though.  Ill look into the other version.