Cannot read data from provider -> Drive dismounting

wid_sbdp

Question

What sort of logs would help with troubleshooting this?

I've used both GCD and ACD. Upload speeds are > 200 mbps. Download speeds on average of 70-100 mbps with peaks at 150 mbps. 100% random drives will start accumulating errors of "cannot read data from provider" and eventually dismount with the Retry/Reauthorize/Destroy options. The crappy part is they'll never attempt to retry automatically so if it happens to happen while I'm asleep the whole system breaks down. Drive remains dead, DrivePool completely breaks even if I have 1:1 duplication of the files on another CloudDrive (say I have drive E: and F: as CloudDrives and are 100% duplicated, DrivePool is drive G: ... if drive E: dismounts drive G: goes away and everything doesn't work... it's a weird way of working). 

So obviously upload speed isn't a problem. Download speed isn't a problem. I have 1gbps upload/download on a dedicated server hosted in a pretty big datacenter in LA with peering all over. We can argue all day that the "cannot read data from provider" error is connection based but I honestly don't think it is, especially at those speeds. 

The worst part is.. seeing as it's not a real error and a retry generally fixes it for another completely random amount of time.. half the time the drive doesn't remount. It'll show back up in CloudDrive GUI, it'll continue uploading what was in "to upload" and it'll continue to download whatever it is downloading for whatever reason, but it'll never get a drive letter. Cool... I'll just go to Disk Management or use DiskPart and assign one. Disk doesn't show up in either. It'll say "Disk 5" in the GUI but "Disk 5" doesn't exist in either. So now DrivePool is broken until a server restart and it does some "reset" of settings to get everything working. Unfortunately randomly rebooting my server is annoying kicks people off that is using it. 

So, I'd like to assist in any way I can to help narrow down this bug. It has happened to other people on here, there are forum threads for it. And I'm sure there are people dealing with it just by restarting and not posting. Just let me know what sort of options I need to turn on and what sort of logs I need to submit. 

Running CloudDrive v770 and DrivePool v734.

7 answers to this question

I take place in this post. I have this exact problem sometimes. Until now I didn't gave it too much importance because when I retried mounting it mounted well and continue uploading, but since some versions (I am on 770 now), when I click "Retry" my machine gives a BSOD and all my drives enter Recovery mode. I have 500GB of cache on 4 cloud drives in total and it takes almost 2 days on Recover the them, which is really annoying... Hope this problem get solved.

Well, the unmount is expected behavior. Too many errors, and it disconnects the drive, otherwise it can put the system in a situation where it will lag out everything completely (this is more to do with how Windows handles I/O than anything else). 

You can disable this behavior, or increase the number of errors that have to occur before the software unmounts the drive... but that may cause the aforementioned issues. 

As for the reading the data on the provider, if this issue is still occurring on the 1.0.0.770 build, then please do let me know, and grab log files:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Logs

Must say, unchecking "Background I/O" has made a world of difference, not sure if I'm on a stretch of "luck" or if Background I/O had something to do with it.... but it's been running for over 12 hours with no issues whatsoever (knock on wood) and I've had at most 3x warnings about issues uploading or reading data from the cloud drive (normally I'd probably be in the hundreds or thousands). 

Must say, unchecking "Background I/O" has made a world of difference, not sure if I'm on a stretch of "luck" or if Background I/O had something to do with it.... but it's been running for over 12 hours with no issues whatsoever (knock on wood) and I've had at most 3x warnings about issues uploading or reading data from the cloud drive (normally I'd probably be in the hundreds or thousands). 

Yeah, it could.  It means that the I/O for the drive is at a higher priority and may more likely cause issues with the system performance.