Mounting two drives with the same key/metadata?

wid_sbdp

Question

Is this possible?

Say I have an encrypted Google Drive setup with like 20TB in it and I wanted to create a second Google Drive (different Google account) and use DrivePool to duplicate the two. Current method would be create a new drive on Account2 and setup duplication, files downloaded from Account1, reuploaded to Account2. Takes a long time. You can rclone between two directly and probably transfer that 20TB in an hour... but they'd be 1:1 copies of the encrypted chunks and have all the same metadata. Could you do that and then mount the Acount2 drive and not run into any issues? Encryption key being the same wouldn't bother me, not using encryption as a safeguard from cracking just to keep Google from seeing what I'm storing.

4 answers to this question

The biggest problem with doing this will be that both volumes have the same ID, and Windows may have issues with this (eg, "cloning issues", because that's literally what you're doing here). 

If they're mounted on different systems, it wouldn't be an issue though. 

And aside from this, I don't think that there should be any issues with doing this. But I'm not 100% certain about that. 

Yeah I was looking at some of the metadata. Are the UIDs known (I assume not since you can technically mount a cloud drive on any PC) by the OS at all? Or could you theoretically change one character of the UID in the metadata file and windows will think it's a "different" drive?