Utilising virtual Amazon Cloud Drive with PLEX

Mike12421

Question

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone can tell me if this idea is possible or maybe come up with something better;

I have my PC setup with Clouddrive utilising Amazon Cloud as "Drive H". This is solely so that I can upload all of my legal movies and TV to Amazon without any hassle from them. I use PLEX on my PC as the host and point to Drive H as the location of my library. I can then stream all of my content to my devices in and out of the house, one of my main devices being a Nvidia Shield. A lot of the time I will get an error message stating that my device (PC) is not able to transcode fast enough and the connection fails.

My question is, am I able to link my Nvidia Shield directly to Drive H and let the Nvidia Shield be the host? That way the Nvidia Shield can do all the work of transcoding and leave my PC alone. I think I read on here that I can't have two devices linked to the created virtual drive with Amazon (Drive H).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike.

2 answers to this question

The server does the transcoding based on what the client can handle - as the Shield is better at dealing with different streams then the server would not need to transcode most files - i.e. pass through 

So it might be that you should check/amend you transcoding setting on the current plex server - or review what codecs audio and video need to be transcoded and remux them to something else that the shield and any other clients are capable of handling directly 

Without any info on the server or what files you are viewing its difficult to say more

Be interesting to see if Amazon do query you collection if its not encrypted and if you get any issues with them de - duplicating their servers and you end up with a differnt version to what you uploaded :)

No idea on the sharing of a cloud drive - not got to that yet

Another thing here, if the Shield supports direct playback, that may be a better option. 

In this case, you'll want to do some reconfiguring.  Create a network share on the H:\ drive, and point PLEX to that instead.  If the Shield can play the files directly, it *should* attempt to do so in this configuration. 

That said, try playing around with the prefetching settings ("Drive Settings" -> "Performance" -> "I/O Performance").  Set the Prefetch forward to 50MB and the Prefetch Window to 300 seconds.

See if that helps.