Drive pool showins as removable drive

abba77

Question

Hi,

I noticed my antivirus and Windows 10 is showing the pool as removable.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10, and i dont remember what it was showing as on windows 7.

Using the wiki, i did create a file copy called "DrivePool.Service.exe.config" and added in this value, which said was default anyways:

<setting name="CoveFs_IsDiskRemovable" serializeAs="String">
                <value>False</value>
            </setting>

However, it still shows as removable.

Does it really matter if its removable or not? I would prefer it was not showing as removable USB storage. This is 8 hard drives running off an IBM M1015 with IT mode firmware.

I dont install anything to it, but do backup to it and may install from it.

I am still learning Windows 10 and wasnt sure if it is windows or the default M1015 driver Windows installed.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

You need to be using the Public Beta build (2.2.0.651) to be able to use this setting.  

Before the specific change, all of the drives were considered removable, and could not be changed.  However, because this did cause conflicts with some programs, we changed the behavior. 

And leaving it as a removal drive doesn't harm the pool.  Some of the different handling for it doesn't actually affect how the pool works.  So it's mostly a cosmetic thing. 

Sorry about that. We generally add new settings to the wiki as soon as their added, mostly for convenience (for us and customers). 

As for the next release version, no, we don't have an ETA. "Soon" hopefully, but it won't be until after the next public beta/RC build of StableBit CloudDrive.