Temporarily disabling drives

e64

Question

I'm using DrivePool on my laptop with one local drive and one drive on a server on my home network pooled together. My folder duplication is set to 2. I'm working remote now and not able to access the home server. 

CloudDrive correctly detects that it's not able to connect to the server and this causes programs to freeze when trying to access data on the pooled drive. Is there a way to temporarily disable the drive and duplication settings so that I'm able to use the pooled drive? Or should I mount the single drive, write data to it and reattach it to the pool later?

DrivePool v2.2.0.651 BETA

CloudDrive v1.0.0.594 BETA

3 answers to this question

Could you clarify how things are setup?

WIth StableBit CloudDrive, are you using a File Share provider? or? 

Is the CloudDrive disk part of the pool? 

It's not exactly clear how things are setup, and this can significantly change how things should be handled. 

If the clouddrive disk is part of the pool, you can remove it from the pool if it's missing. Once you reconnect it, it should automatically "reconnect" to the pool, as the drive itself has not been marked as removed. 

I have a File Share and a Local Disk provider combined into one drive pool.

If I remove the File Share from the pool will I have to change the duplication settings and file placement rules once it's reconnected? I have smaller files located on the Local Disk and I have rules to place the larger ones on the File Share.

Also, would there be a better way to set things up like this in the future? I would like to offload as much storage from my laptop as possible, but also want to be able to work on things outside of my house. For example:

1 File Share

1 Google Drive

1 Local Share

Is there a way I can set the pool to only use the Google Drive Share if the File Share is unavailable (assuming all data is mirrored to it from the File Share)? I notice additional latency on reads when a  Google Drive disk is added to the pool so I would only like to read from it if the FIle Share is not available.

If I remove the File Share from the pool will I have to change the duplication settings and file placement rules once it's reconnected? I have smaller files located on the Local Disk and I have rules to place the larger ones on the File Share.

The duplication settings, no. The software will attempt to resolve this on its own. If it has issues with that, it will prompt you. 

As for file placement rules, you would have to reconfigure these, depending on how they were set up initially. 

Also, would there be a better way to set things up like this in the future? I would like to offload as much storage from my laptop as possible, but also want to be able to work on things outside of my house. For example:

1 File Share

1 Google Drive

1 Local Share

Is there a way I can set the pool to only use the Google Drive Share if the File Share is unavailable (assuming all data is mirrored to it from the File Share)? I notice additional latency on reads when a  Google Drive disk is added to the pool so I would only like to read from it if the FIle Share is not available.

Not really.  Since the pool isn't really designed to add and remove drives frequently, it's not really designed to handle this automatically. 

However, the "Ordered File Placement" balancer plugin lets you fill one disk at a time, and specify the order. You may be able to use that to accomplish this.  

But keep in mind that it does have "issues" with the File Placement rules and has specific configuration changes to ensure everything works properly together.