Pool Drives not measuring correctly?

stigzler

Question

Hi folks,

I've recently had to upgrade to a new server. All's gone well in terms of re-installing + initialising SBDP. However, the Pool Drives look a bit funny:

Screenshot%20-%2020_04_2016%20%2C%2021_2

You'll note F: is just grey. I've done "Remeasure" but still grey. Wierd thing is it's showing as 78.7% full! Also - checked disk - no SMART errors. Seems clean.

Other info:

Screenshot%20-%2020_04_2016%20%2C%2021_5

Any ideas? Should I worry?

7 answers to this question

This looks like it's a measurement issue.  Try remeasuring the pool.

If that doesn't help, check the disk itself, and see if there is anything outside of the hidden "PoolPart" folder.

If there is nothing else on the disk, and remeasuring doesn't help, try running "chkdsk f: /r" on the server, let that run and then remeasure the pool. 

Thanks. I did the remeasure in the OP - made no difference. Presently re-balancing - we'll see how things sit after this + I'll try re measuring again. 

When you say check the disk itself - what do you mean? If I click on the pool drive in explorer it shows no files. 

All else fails - i'll do chkdisk

Just to check something out. I have 3 x 2TB drives. If I have 1.8TB of data and it's duplicated, will this essentially only exist on 2 drives (1.8 on one and 1.8 on another) rather than being spread across 3 drives?

If so - it's looking alike all the data is on G + E. If all else fails - could I reformat F: and re-add it to the pool?

thanks for your help.

By check, I mean "visually inspect".  Open up Explorer on the server and see where the files are. See if they're just in "F:\" or if they're all in the hidden PoolPart folder.

Also, running a CHKDSK pass isn't a bad idea, as disk errors could cause this to happen. 

Just to check something out. I have 3 x 2TB drives. If I have 1.8TB of data and it's duplicated, will this essentially only exist on 2 drives (1.8 on one and 1.8 on another) rather than being spread across 3 drives?

It depends.  But generally, it will be spread out between all three disks, but all of the data should be on two different disks. 

If so - it's looking alike all the data is on G + E. If all else fails - could I reformat F: and re-add it to the pool?

You definitely could. But I'd rather identify and fix the issue than format the disk. Just to be on the safe side. 

Also, if you want, we can set up a remote support session so I can look at the server directly.  If that's okay with you, let me know. 

Remote may be good. Did all of the above and still no joy. Also, now running out of disk space. Think got about 6TB of disk aspace and 4TB of files, but 3rd disk is showing as full. 

F contained hidden server folders files. 

Pic of present state of play:

crap.png

Let me know how the remote business works + thanks

Thanks for your support yesterday, Christopher. Did what you suggested and removed the F: drive, installing a new 3tb drive just before. This morning, re-measured pool and I'm afraid the results were a little surprising:

V2.png

Obviously, this is very wrong - just hoping all my files are still OK!

Would appreciate yours or Alex's further guidance on this. On another note, I've got a server upgrade planned to install 2 more hard drives. I'm guessing I should hold off on this until the issues with Drivepool are sorted?

thanks

Steve

EDIT: Oh wait! This might be right? I see the measures are Duplicated/non-duped vs pooled/non-pooled as of old version. Guessing this might be accurate, then?

It definitely does look like it's accurate.

You should be able to trigger the duplication pass, and that should "fix" any remaining duplication issues (as that appears to be what the issue is here. 

To trigger it, click on the "^" next to the bar at the bottom. There should be a "Re-duplicate pool" option. Run that, and it should fix the issue.