WHS 2011 Stablebit 1 to 2

tomm1313

Question

As i try to decide if i should move to 2012 i am wondering if a fresh install of 2011 and moving to stablebit 2 would be a better idea.

does stablebit 2 still have everything in the WHS2011 dashboard?  i love that feature....does the benefits of 2.0 out way losing that

3 answers to this question

Yup, exactly.  And actually, IIRC, there is a link the "Storage" section to open the standalone UI, as well as a full tab (that is identical to said UI). 

As for migrating, on the same system (eg without reinstalling), the process is simple: 

1. Uninstall the 1.X version
  2. Reboot (this is required to unload the driver)
  3. Install the 2.X version, and it should grab the license info, here
  4. Reboot again (this is to make sure that everything sees the pool as some of the services will have started up already and are not good about picking up "new disks"

if you're reinstalling, then you'd want to deactivate the license prior to uninstalling it. And you may want to disconnect the pooled disks, to make sure the installer doesn't try to install to those disks...  But aside from that, that's about it. 

As for the benefits: Reparse point support (symlinks, junction points, etc, and if you're aren't sure what these are ... you probably don't need them), independant remote control, a clean UI, and File Placement rules.