Windows update caused a problem

Elijah_Baley

Question

This is mainly an informational post. This is concerning Windows 10.

I have 13 drives pooled and i have every power management function set so as to not allow Windows to control power or in any way shut down the drives or anything else. I do not allow anything on my server to sleep either. I received a security update from Windows about 5 days ago.
After the update I began daily to receive notices that my drives were disconnected. 
Shortly after any of those notices (within 2 minutes) I received a notice that all drives have been reconnected. There was never any errors resulting from whatever triggered the notices.
I decided to check and I found that one of my USB controllers had its power control status changed. I changed it back to not allowing Windows to control its power and I have not received any notices since. 
I do not know for sure but I am 99% sure that the Windows update toggled that one controller's power control status to allow windows to turn it off when not being used.
I cannot be 100% sure that I have had it always turned off but, until the update, I received none of the notices I started receiving after the update. 

I suggest, if anyone starts receiving weird notices about several drives becoming lost from the pool, that you check the power management status of your drives. Sometimes Windows updates are just not able to resist changing things. They also introduce gremlins. You just have to be careful to not feed them after midnight and under no circumstances should you get an infested computer wet. :D  

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet