My NVME Samsung 980 Pro 500gb reported as Damaged, what should I do?

SaintTDI

Question

Hi all!

This night Stablebit Scanner sent me 2 emails that my 980 Pro is Damaged. It's the NVME where Windows is installed

This is the report: 

image.thumb.png.190453eb9be51616e01877b799a2f810.png

And this is the NVMe Health Report:

image.png.c5bfef023643d9db2d264add6298b7e6.png

It's the first time that happens, actually I don't know what to do :D Is it better that I start the file scan ? What else can I do?

Thanks for the support! :) 

5 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Given the read errors and the NVMe Health warning, I would definitely recommend replacing the drive.  :(

Thanks for the reply!

mmm yep I thought that it would be the only option... but do I have time? Do you think I can wait about 15 days? 

And to replace the drive, can I clone this old 980 on a new 990 ? Or is better that I install everything again?

That's a hard question to answer.  SSDs tend to be fast, including in how they fail.  But given this, I suspect that you might have some time.  However, back up the drive, for sure!  Even if you can't restore/clone the drive, you'd be able to recover settings and such from it. But ideally, you could restore from it. 

And cloning the drive should be fine.  Most everything is SSD aware anymore, so shouldn't be an issue.   But also, sometimes a clean install is nice. 

On 4/11/2024 at 9:57 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That's a hard question to answer.  SSDs tend to be fast, including in how they fail.  But given this, I suspect that you might have some time.  However, back up the drive, for sure!  Even if you can't restore/clone the drive, you'd be able to recover settings and such from it. But ideally, you could restore from it. 

And cloning the drive should be fine.  Most everything is SSD aware anymore, so shouldn't be an issue.   But also, sometimes a clean install is nice. 

Ok! Thank you very much ;)