Problem with big File in Pool

pap

Question

Hi

I was using Drivepool (V.2.1.1.561) for aprx. 3 Month without any Problems. Last Week I copied a big File (800GB in one File) to my Drivepool, and Drivepool is not able to balance the Pool.

My Drivepool use 2 Disks (1T each named CACHE A and CACHE B) as cache, and 2 Disks (8T each named “ARCHIV A 1” and “ARCHIVE B 1”).  I use only the “SSD Optmizer” as Balancer.

I am able to copy the big file to the pool without any problem. I can see the file on the 2 CACHE Disks. After finishing the copy, the pool start to balance.  (I can see the activity Led’s on the 2 Disks (one ARCHIV & one CACHE)) The Progress continues to something about 2% then restarts without any error again with 0.2% and so on. If the Process starts again the Target Drive is changing (I can see this on the Activity Led of the Drive.)

In the Log File I can find a Warning like:

DrivePool.Service.exe  Warning              0             [FileMover] Error moving '\\?\Volume{9bd3e1c2-cfee-4611-8d32-3d37ba293688}\PoolPart.aaa84030-e4de-4a84-ac23-09c7c2711284\Archiv\Backup Veeam\PAP Alle Produktiven VM2016-04-10T143651.vbk' to '\\?\Volume{514e8456-d9c0-4fe7-870d-b082b2fc97b5}\PoolPart.838af591-1ccb-410d-9658-06ec3463365d\Archiv\Backup Veeam\PAP Alle Produktiven VM2016-04-10T143651.vbk'. Falscher Parameter                2016-04-10 17:37:17Z     45157247662

If I delete the big file, select “Neu erfassen…” in the Pool Options, my cache drives are empty, and the pool seems to be ok.

The Service Folder as zip file is attached.

Thanks for Help

Best Regards from Austria

Peter

​​

Service.zip

3 answers to this question

The "Falscher Parameter" (or "Incorrect parameter") error indicates a disk issue with one or more of the disks in question.   

You should run a disk check on the disk in question, as this may fix the issue. 

As for the disk that is used changing, this may be normal. Specifically, the default strategy is to move the file(s) to the disk with the most available free space. If this is equal, it's randomly selected. 

Specifically, try running this:

CHKDSK \\?\Volume{514e8456-d9c0-4fe7-870d-b082b2fc97b5} /r /x 

If you're using WIndows 8 or 10, add "/scan /perf" as well. 

Or run:

CHKDSK X: /r /x

Where "X:" is the pooled disks in question. 

if this continues to happen, then could you enable file system logging and reproduce this? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Stop the logging as soon as this happens, and upload the logs to us. 

Hi

Thanks for answer, seems to be solved, at the Moment more than 75% of the big file is balanced. Problem was not primary the disk but the old SAS SATA Controller which displays 8TB Drives but was only able to write/read 2TB. And the big file was going to fill beyont 2TB. For the Moment i delete old files from the pool, so more space is available and after balancing all will be smaller then 2TB. I ordered a new Controller, hope that the Change of the controler will not destroy my pool.

Best Regards from Austria

Peter