Moving from WHS2011 to Server Essentials 2012

idhToronto

Question

Hi

I am currentlyusing DrivePool on a WHS 2011 system and will be moving to a Server Essentials 2012 server shortly and just wanted to know if it is a simple move. Do I just install DrivePool on the new server and plug the drive case with drives into the server and have DrivePool recognise the existing pool or is there more to it?

Thanks

Ian

2 answers to this question

Deactivate the license on WHS first. Then move the drives. Should be very easy. I did the same upgrade a few months ago and then moved to 2012 R2 within a couple of days and had a licensing issue trying to activate and couldn't until I had deactivated.

Yup, exactly that.   

And as browned has mentioned, you'll want to deactivate the license on the old system first, to ensure that there are no issues with activation on the new system (if there are, just contact us at https://stablebit.com/Contactat let us know). 

Once the software and disks are installed on the new system and the license is activated, StableBit DrivePool will see the pooled disks and automatically (automagically :) ) recreate the pool, with the available disks. 

Also, you will want to download and run the WSS Troubleshooter, to rebuild the shared folders, bypassing the dashboard's issues with moving shares to locations with existing data.

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_2.0.0.1.exe