Space used reported as other but all files in pool

RyC

Question

I added a new hard drive to the pool and copied some files from the old hard drives to the new one manually to free up some space. However, when I look in the DrivePool control panel, I'm seeing that for the new hard drive, part of the space used is in the "Other" category instead of "Unduplicated", even though all files are in the hidden PoolPart folder. I do see all of the files I moved over in the pool drive as well. Running the Re-measure command does not move the "Other" amount to "Unduplicated". This doesn't appear to be affecting the functionality so far, but I believe it should report all used space as "Unduplicated" since it's all in the PoolPart folder. Thanks for any ideas on how to fix/refresh the control panel!

3 answers to this question

I'm guessing that you copied data from the Poolpart folder on one disk to the Poolpart folder on another disk?

If so, then that is why you're seeing this. Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to monitor changes like this, as it happens outside of the pool driver, and outside of the service. 

The way to fix this is simply to remeasure the pool. This is under "Pool Options".  This may take a while to complete, but it should correct the issue.

Also, we generally recommend against doing this, in a big part for the specific reason that you're seeing. 

If you want to make sure that the drives don't get too full, then check out the "Prevent Drive Overfill" Balancer.  

The "Try not to fill a drive above" values determine the max capacity before this balancer triggers a balancing pass.

The "Emptying" options indicate the target usage for the balancing pass.

Meaning that if it's set to 90%, and 85% respectively, it means that when the disk gets more than 90% full, it will try to empty data until the drive is 85% full.  You can change these values to be more or less aggressive, and you can set it for a specific capacity as well.

Additionally, you can use the Disk Space Equalizer balancer plugin, to ensure that all the disks either have the same remaining free space or the same usage percentage. 

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

Got it, thanks! I'll check out the balancing plugin. When I tried running re-measure right after I copied everything over, it still reported the space used as "Other", but I just tried it again several hours later and it appears to have marked the space correctly as Unduplicated now. Thanks again for your help!