from drivepool to linux back to drivepool... and problems arise!

Superpsych0

Question

That is, problems arise, surprising nobody at all.

Here's the deal:

I had a workable Win7 setup with Drivepool, everything was going fine... decided to move to Linux, heard that mergerfs + Greyhole + Openmediavault is pretty amazing, lots of packages that "just work" from a web interface...

Okay.

Installed OMV, bought 2 more drives. Formatted them EXT4, then started moving data to them then reformatting the now-empty NTFS partition to an EXT4 one. Did this for all my drives.

Messed around with OMV, was impossible to get certain things to work right... okay, ready to move back to Windows.

Got Diskinternals' Linux Reader software to copy the data from EXT4 partitions to NTFS, downloaded DrivePool, but when setting it up, all my data now shows as "other!" 

All of it... tried mounting the discrete drives and resetting permissions (both through drive letters **and** NTFS folder mounts) but still everything is showing as "other."

Help!

3 answers to this question

THis is probably a simple fix, actually.

I'm guessing that you've already added the disks to the pool (hence the "Other" data). 

However, is the data on the disks in the root of the folder (eg, x:\movies\etc)? 

If so, then the files reside outside of the pool folder structure and are correctly counted as "Other" data. 

However, you can quickly and easily move the contents into the pool folder structure. And we have a guide on how to do so.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

That makes perfect sense, thanks for the tip... and it worked a charm!

Now to point Plex at the appropriate directories, set up a BitTorrent intranet-facing interface, get Sickrage pointed to THAT... scan my shows and start getting caught up! 

Thanks a lot, really! I was dreading having to faff about with NTFS permissions, etc etc ad nauseam.

Here's to a happy St. Paddy's Day, if it's still before midnight where you live!

Cheers!